The Nova Scotia Assessment: Literacy and Mathematics in Grade 3 is administered over 4-days in May. Please see the 2018-2019 Program of Learning Assessment for Nova Scotia (PLANS) schedule for administration dates.
This assessment includes the following:
- reading and writing tasks that reflect the end of grade 3 curriculum outcome expectations
- reading passages in the narrative, information, poetry/song, and visual text genres
- reading comprehension questions in selected response format
- reading comprehension questions that are designed to provide a broad range of challenge, thereby providing more information about individual student performance
- one information and one narrative writing task
- mathematics questions that reflect the end of grade 3 curriculum outcome expectations
- selected response (multiple choice) mathematics questions in all mathematics domains
- constructed response (problem solving) mathematics questions that will be scored for content/understanding and for communication
French immersion students write the mathematics portion of this assessment in French.