The Nova Scotia Assessment: Literacy and Mathematics in Grade 3 and Mathématiques in Grade 3 is administered over 4-days in May. Please see the 2018-2019 Program of Learning Assessment for Nova Scotia (PLANS) schedule for administration dates.
This assessment includes the following:
- reading and writing tasks that reflect the end of grade 3 curriculum outcome expectations
- reading passages in the narrative, information, poetry/song, and visual text genres
- reading comprehension questions in selected response format
- reading comprehension questions that are designed to provide a broad range of challenge, thereby providing more information about individual student performance
- one information and one narrative writing task
- mathematics/mathématiques questions that reflect the end of grade 3 curriculum outcome expectations
- selected response (multiple choice) mathematics/mathématiques questions in all mathematics domains
French immersion students write only the mathématiques component of this assessment because they only begin formal English language arts instruction at the beginning of grade 3.