The Nova Scotia Assessment: Reading, Writing, and Mathematics in Grade 8 is administered over 4-days between late May–early June for 90 minutes each day.
This assessment includes the following:
- reading and writing tasks that reflect grade 8 curriculum outcome expectations
- reading passages in the narrative, information, poetry/song, and visual text genres
- reading comprehension questions in selected response format
- reading comprehension questions that are designed to provide a broad range of challenge, thereby providing more information about individual student performance
- one essay writing task and one story writing task
- mathematics questions that reflect the end of grade 8 curriculum outcome expectations
- selected response (multiple choice) questions in all mathematics domains
- tasks designed to assess students’ ability to solve problems
- tasks requiring different levels of cognitive demands to solve, thereby providing more information about student performance
French immersion students will write the mathematics portion of this assessment in French.